Meet My Superhero ( Who is your superhero?)
1. Who is your favorite superhero?
2. Why is he/she your favorite?
3. What special power does he/or she possess?
4. How did he/she acquire his/her superpower?
5. Would you like to possess the same power? Why or why not?
6. How would you define the term power?
Struggle for power.
Interplay of power in an organization or community such as (but not limited to) government and State.
System of controlling and being controlled.
“Man is a political animal.” (Aristole 284 - 322 BC)
Foundations of Power
Bureaucracy - Hierarchy, Chain of command, Decorum, Systematic flow of communication,Top down movement of authority, Bottom up movement of obedience. ( Max Weber)
Influence - Total means that a person has to bring about the results he or she desires in decision-making situation.
Sources of Influence
Right or authority achieved by a person, organization, action or measure for being socially accepted due to compliance with the norm or expectation.
Means to Legitimacy - Voting, Molding of public opinion, Political counseling and Patronage.
Legitimacy Erosion -Weakening of legitimacy, Loss of credibility, Disobedience and Disorder
Authority - Right to use power. Person wielding such right.
Types of Authority
1. Traditional Authority - Authority ascribed to a person by community, organization or society through tradition.
Tradition- the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.
2. Charismatic - Authority derived from charisma.
Charisma - compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others; animal magnetism.
3. Legal-Rational Authority - §Authority acquired through education and or experience.
“…From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”
with GREAT POWER comes GREAT RESPONSIBILITY.